Queens Divorce Attorney
Providing Effective Legal Counsel In Contested And Uncontested New York Divorce
New York is the only state in the United States that does not offer no-fault divorce. This means that in order to receive a divorce in New York you must give a cause for your action. The reasons for which someone may be granted a New York divorce include:
- Cruel and unusual treatment (domestic violence and mental cruelty)
- Abandonment for at least one year
- Imprisonment of one spouse for three consecutive years
The other option is to live “separate and apart” for one year or more, with a legal separation agreement that will form the basis of the divorce judgment. In addition, there are New York state residency requirements that you must meet.
If you are considering divorce, the Law Office of Schachter, P.C., based in Jackson Heights, can help you understand New York divorce law and how to proceed. Queens divorce lawyer David B. Schachter has more than 30 years of experience helping clients deal with difficult legal issues.
Handling Issues Related To Divorce
At the Law Office of Schachter, PC, we can help you with the dissolution of marriage and the related issues of property division, spousal support and child custody.
- Mr. Schachter’s decades of business law experience allow him to understand the issues at stake in marital property division when there is a family business.
- Upon completion of a divorce, the parties will need to revise any prior estate plans to create new beneficiaries. Mr. Schachter’s estate administration experience comes into play here.
Call A Bronx And Brooklyn Divorce Lawyer At 888-337-2679
To learn more about New York divorce law and how we can help you reach a divorce agreement, please contact us at 888-337-2679 or by e-mail. Arrange a free consultation for most matters with experienced divorce attorney David B. Schachter.